Thursday, March 26, 2015

Week 11 Prompt Response



Appeal factors for both eBooks and audiobooks varies from person to person. I think the appeal for both lies in convenience. Both do not require adequate light sources to be read, you can read whenever the most convenience, more privacy; not everyone knows what you are reading, easy to get; a simple download can get you instant reading and it doesn’t take up any physical space. These factors appeal those who want different types of reading experiences. Those who may just only care about the contents of the book, not how it’s delivered to them.
The tangible feel of the physical book does somewhat affect the genre. For example, if you love easy reads that are on the shorter side, you won’t necessary get that appeal from an eBook or audiobook because you wouldn’t have any idea when the story is going to end and how to measure how long it takes you to read that book. With a physical book, you can set reading goals for how many pages you can read in an hour and other ways for you to keep track about where you left off and how soon you’ll be done. It’s almost as if you are listening to an audiobook or reading an eBook that you kind of have to read the entire book within a couple of days to get the full effect of the book and its hard to go back and reread anything you have missed with an audiobook or eBook.
Changing the font, line spacing with eBooks does affect the tone of the book. The font chosen for the book was chosen for a reason to depict a certain tone for the book. With eBooks you are most likely changing the font to make it easier on your eyes than the book its self. The book length varies and can become twice as long if you are always changing the font and line spacing. Also, it makes reading book twice as long to finish. As for audiobooks, the tone of the book it affected because the narrator may read at a slower pace than how you read. Track lengths may run longer than anticipated and can be hard to keep up with where you left off. These factors take away from the experience of reading and getting done with a book. Not to mention, the strain on the eyes from eBooks and multitasking and distractions audiobooks allow for. I think both have its pros and cons and that each individual should decide if and when to read or listen to these formats. 

I think its great to read an eBook from time to time or listen to an audio here and there to get the experience of trying out these to different mediums because some books may only be accessed by these formats and its worth a try.
My personal experience with audiobooks is that I find them convenience and I would love to just listen to audiobooks all the time to give my eyes rest but I always end up falling asleep when trying to listen to one. I don’t listen to them when I’m driving because I don’t drive far enough to get any real listening out of it and I always opt for listening to music instead. I love the idea of eBooks, but one major downfall is that it hurts my eyes to constantly read on my iPad. Since I’m always on my phone or laptop reading something all day then having to be on another digital device is an overload for my eyes so I always opt for a physical book to give my eyes some rest. I just love the convenience factor of both and wish the cons wouldn’t out weigh the pros otherwise I would completely love these two formats.

1 comment:

  1. Brianna, I feel the same as you do about the eye strain of reading on an iPad. When I am at work all day looking at a computer screen then come home and do a couple hours of homework online, the last thing I want to do is look at another screen for my pleasure reading. I'll take a good print book most days.

    ReplyDelete