Sunday, March 29, 2015

Historical Fiction


Title: The Light Between Oceans
Author: M.L. Stedman
Publication: Scribner; July 31, 2012
Edition: Hardcover: 345 pages

Synopsis: After four harrowing years on the Western Front, Tom Sherbourne returns to Australia and takes a job as the lighthouse keeper on Janus Rock, nearly half a day’s journey from the coast. To this isolated island, where the supply boat comes once a season, Tom brings a young, bold, and loving wife, Isabel. Years later, after two miscarriages and one stillbirth, the grieving Isabel hears a baby’s cries on the wind. A boat has washed up onshore carrying a dead man and a living baby.

Tom, who keeps meticulous records and whose moral principles have withstood a horrific war, wants to report the man and infant immediately. But Isabel insists the baby is a “gift from God,” and against Tom’s judgment, they claim her as their own and name her Lucy. When she is two, Tom and Isabel return to the mainland and are reminded that there are other people in the world. Their choice has devastated one of them.  (Amazon, 2010)

Setting/Time Period: Australia 1920s
Genre: Historical Fiction
Subject Headings: Australia—fiction
                                 Domestic fiction
                                 Married people—fiction
                                 Foundlings—fiction
         Lighthouse keepers                             


Elements of historical fiction: Set before author’s lifetime; uses historical accurate place and events; world building based on the time period that very descriptive; storyline heavily focused on Australia circa 1920s and social and moral issues presented at that particular time; contained historical accurate dialect that reflects Australia in the 1920s; leisurely paced.

Appeal: Intriguing, unique storyline that kept me on my toes wanting to know what happens next. Slow paced yet still interesting. Generally good page length that flowed nicely.  Painted a good picture of Australia in the 1920s that presented social and moral issues in an interesting manner, reflective to that time period. Love presented with really sad elements of loss and fear. Great character engagement in a way that you can feel what each character is going through. I enjoyed reading The Light Between Oceans. Previously, I preferred not to read historical fiction or pretty much anything that wasn’t based on present time. I was impressed with this read and now I’m interested in reading others in this genre. The questions of morals, decisions and love and what the book’s characters had to go through is what kept me interested and wanting to know how things ended. Very impressed.


Read A Likes:
The Lightkeeper’s Wife by Karen Viggers
Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
What She Left Behind by Ellen Marie Wiseman


3 comments:

  1. This book sounds so good! Like you, I'd never been a very big fan of historical fiction for the same reasons, but sometimes a story is compelling enough that the fact that it's not set in present day doesn't really matter. The book that I read for my historical fiction annotation ('The True Story of Hansel and Gretel') was similarly compelling to me. All of the read-alikes you gave are books I've heard people rave about, and they all sound great too. I might have to start giving historical fiction a chance now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I generally don't read historical fiction. I'm not sure why, it's just not something I've ever really liked. This book sounds interesting, though. I'm going to have to try historical fiction again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big fan of Orphan Train and I really want to read All the Light We Cannot See. Based on your suggestions for Read-Alikes, it makes me want to read this book. Your annotation adds to that desire! I'm really curious to see what moral issues of that particular time period are a factor for this couple. Adding this title to my list!

    ReplyDelete