Sunday, February 1, 2015

Secret Shopper


Secret Shopper

When first entered the library, I felt like it was different than I remembered from a few years ago. As I began to make my way to the reference area, it felt more familiar. I approached the reference desk and was immediately greeted with a friendly “Hello” and a “how can I help you”. I responded with a “Hello” and I began to ask my reference question: I’m looking for a good YA book that would be interesting to adult readers? I mentioned that I’ve read plenty of paranormal teen literature in my teenager days and I dislike the dystopia craze that’s currently available and I’m not really interested in sad or romantic dramatic YA literature. The librarian asked me who are some of my favorite YA authors in the past so she could get a start on which direction to conduct the search. I mentioned that my favorite YA author is Sarah Dessen and that I loved how her books are more realistic and relatable but not pushing any limits and are simply a good read. She then asked me if I’m interested in books that have been released in recent years because she noted that there aren’t that many new releases that are along the lines of Sarah Dessen’s work. She mentioned John Green books are sort of on the level but doesn’t quite fit the YA books I’m looking for. So, I noted that it would be great if there were some new releases that reflect Sarah Dessen’s novels but I’m perfectly fine reading older release. She asked me what is one of my favorite Sarah Desson books. I replied with “Lock and Key”. From there she conducted a Goodreads search and typed in “Lock and Key”.  She showed me one book called “The Nature of Jade” by Deb Caletti. She goes to give a brief summary of the book and thought it has similar elements to “Lock and Key” with its relatable feel. Next, she finds “Fixing Delilah” by Sarah Ockler. She mentions its has the dysfunctional family aspect “Lock and Key” has but written very nicely not over done and dramatic. Lastly, she recommended “Pearl” by Jo Knowles. This book also has the element of dysfunctional families but has a light feel similar to the other books she recommended. She wrote down the names of the books and searched the library’s catalog and wrote down the call number. She gave me the list and mentioned that if I needed any help finding the titles to ask the ladies at the circulation desk. I thanked her for her helped and conducting such a good interview.

What I liked most about the interview is that she asked a lot of questions that I did not think of prior to the interview, that made me dive further into knowing what books I wanted. I came out knowing that I wasn’t exactly looking for a simple YA read but one that is more of intense yet meaningful without being so dramatic. I didn’t realize that is what I liked most about Sarah Desson books and its cool that she picked up on that and know what types of books to recommended. She focused on two elements of the book I liked and focused on finding books that matched those elements. I enjoyed my experience and definitely will return for future suggestions.


Caletti, Deb. ”The Nature of Jade”. Simon and Schuster. 2007. Pg. 286
Ockler, Sarah.” Fixing Delilah.” Little Brown. New York. 2010. Pg. 308
Knowles, Jo. “Pearl”. Henry and Holt Co.  2011. Pg. 216.

6 comments:

  1. You had a great experience! I liked how the librarian asked about favorite YA authors to get a sense of what you were looking for. Then wanted to know how contemporary you needed the author to be. The librarian used Goodreads which is free. Do you know if the library subscribes to a service like Novelist? I like how she wrote down the titles and call numbers for you so that you could actually find what you were looking for. Your assessment at the end was very nice in that you pointed out that the successful interview helped clarify to yourself and her what you really wanted to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your experience is exactly what I want to be when I do readers advisory. I want to be able to help someone who can't even articulate what they want to read, exactly.

    Is there a reason that the staff member didn't take you to the books and gave you a list instead? Generally when I'm helping people find a book (usually nonfiction), I walk with them. Were you OK with her leaving you to your own devices? Do you think the staff member would have helped if you seemed more unsure? It is good that she told you who to ask if you couldn't find the book, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reference librarians generally only help patrons with nonfiction and the computers. Fiction is delegated to circ and those who are there are more familiar with where the books are shelved. I had to ask someone in circ where to find a couple on the list and they were really nice and helpful. I think she would have helped or maybe called someone in circ to come over and help find the books if she knew I was unsure. I also thought it was a good way to understand how service works at the library and who is in charge of what in each department.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so nice to hear your experience went well, mine went well as well. You really gave her a little bit of a challenge it sounds like but in a good way so that she could better help you. In my own interaction I held back some information about my reading taste to see if she would ask first. I figure most patrons are not forthcomming in the reference interview. Just yesterday I had a patron ask for books on mythology, during the reference interview she narrowed it down to Greek Gods and finally Ares but I had to pull it out of her. I am not sure why she didn't just ask for Ares to begin with since she was doing a report specifically on him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your situation is a great example of something I heard on a webinar about RA - it said "you have to be able to understand why YOU like a book, so you can help people understand why they like certain books." It's fantastic that this interaction helped you clarify what was important to you, and what elements you wanted to find in future books. I think it's great that the librarian took time to talk about the age of books - something I don't think about much but I should! - and was able to show you how she found them. What a positive experience! I'll certainly take some things from this interview to use myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your situation is a great example of something I heard on a webinar about RA - it said "you have to be able to understand why YOU like a book, so you can help people understand why they like certain books." It's fantastic that this interaction helped you clarify what was important to you, and what elements you wanted to find in future books. I think it's great that the librarian took time to talk about the age of books - something I don't think about much but I should! - and was able to show you how she found them. What a positive experience! I'll certainly take some things from this interview to use myself!

    ReplyDelete