Sunday, February 15, 2015

Prompt Response


I do feel the two reviews are reliable because they are of an actual reader’s opinion. They have nothing to gain by reading this book and are offering their honest opinion of what they are reading. Their opinions should not necessary be discredited since they are not formally educated on reading/writing book reviews and their opinions matter as much as any other book reviewers out there. As for buying this book for my library, I would invest in it being that it would add to the other gentle reads in our eBook collection and its holiday themed. This eBook is not what I would consider romantic suspense. This is a light gentle read that I would consider general romance because there is not any sort of suspense that is likely to be found in Nora Roberts books. It contains clean dialogue and content and there is not any hint that the heroine is in any sort of danger and needs some sort of saving. She seems to be fighting for only one man’s affections, not typical of that of romantic suspense.

I think it’s fair that one book is reviewed more than others. Books that receive the most buzz get the attention of reviews very fast and so it becomes this chain reaction. Everyone wants his or her opinion of this particular book to be heard. There are some that prefer to read books that aren’t talked about as much so they can come to their own opinions about what they’ve just read. This affects the library collection in way that the majority of its space is filled with multiple copies of the same books that everyone has pretty much have read already. Those diamond and the rough books get over looked and weeded because of the lack of attention and awareness that these book exist let alone are available at your local library. I think review sources that don’t print negative reviews are censoring opinions that provides limited perspectives and are manipulating readers with false opinions in order to get readers to read this book. If readers are going to put effort into reading reviews trusting in what these reviewers think, their work should be honest and allow for the reader to decide if they should read the book or not. 

I help assist with the purchasing of materials by picking out books they would be great for our collection. I decide based on the provided synopsis and my manger would from there, look up reviews and decide if the book should be purchase for our collection or not. For personal reading, I do occasionally read reviews but I make my decision to read based on the synopsis or recommendations. When I browse books online, I do take time to read reviews to get a general feel as to how the book will play out. I also agree that reading reviews are time consuming and I always feel as though after reading five or more reviews on the same book, I talk myself out of reading the book or I put off reading it until months later.  For personal reading, my favorite resources are Amazon and online blogs.

1 comment:

  1. I do agree that "real" readers' opinions about books are valid. I think that it's important to pay attention to what the average person thinks because most of our library patrons are "average people" (there aren't many professional book reviewers that use my library, at least that I know of). However, I thought the two reviews of 'The Billionaire's First Christmas' weren't very reliable because I didn't understand what they really felt about the book. The reviewers didn't really expand on their likes/dislikes...I didn't get a good, well-rounded picture of the book from either of those reviews. Which is a shame, because they both were pretty positive--it would've been nice to hear more about the positives and negatives of the book so that people could make a more informed decision about whether or not to read it.

    I also agree about books that get left behind because there isn't much publicity about them. I am one of those people that prefers the less-popular books most of the time, and it's hard to know whether a book like that is worth reading when there isn't much coverage about it. I guess that's where librarians come in. I'd love to read those less-popular titles and promote them with mini reviews or pull-out displays!

    ReplyDelete