Thursday, April 9, 2015

Graphic Novel Annotation: Fables


Title: Fables: Legends in Exile, Vol.1
Author: Bill Willingham       
Publication: Vertigo; May 22, 2012
Edition: Paperback 144 pages Vol. 1

Synopsis: When a savage creature known only as the Adversary conquered the fabled lands of legends and fairy tales, all of the infamous inhabitants of folklore were forced into exile. Disguised among the "mundys," their name for normal citizens of modern-day New York, these magical characters created their own secret society that they call Fabletown. From their exclusive luxury apartment buildings on Manhattan's Upper West Side, these creatures of legend must fight for their survival in the new world.  (Amazon)

Setting/Time Period:  In fictitious town called “New York City” similar to that of modern day New York City

Genre: Graphic Novel, Fantasy

Subject Headings: Fairy Tales; comic books, strips

Elements of a graphic novel: Art, storyboard format, quote bubbles with narrations, captions read from left to right. Story continues in volumes. On the short side meant to continue in later volumes.

Appeal: Fantasy/fairy tale that includes aspects of some of the classic fairy tales.  In-depth storytelling that flowed well with the illustrations, which helps one to not get lost from reading the captions and looking at the illustrations. A unique fun take on some the most classic fairy tales creatively intertwined.

Good graphic novel that held my attention. In the past I’ve tried to read graphic novels but I’ve always never get past the first page. This one, got me passed the first page and I’ve finished in two days. I actually wanted to finish reading it. The artwork is really good and helped explain the story further than what the captions read. Interesting concept, I enjoyed it. 

Read A Likes:

Saga Vol. 1 by Brian Vaughan (author) and Fiona Staples (illustrator)

The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 1 by Kieron Gillen (author) Jamie McKelvie (illustrator)

Low: The Delirium of Hope Vol. 1 by Rick Remender (author) Greg Tocchini (illustrator)


3 comments:

  1. I was never one that read comics; books, in the news paper or the ones in the bubble gum. I am just like you were. The first page and I'm closing the book. I'm glad that you were able to read out of you comfort zone and complete a graphic novel. I guess there is still hope for me. My granddaughter wants me to read one with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing!!!! I have been wanting to get more into graphic novels and this one really interests me. I am so excited that our industry is embracing this form of reading more and more. When doing my final I was sure to include graphic novels whenever appropriate and was extremely pleased to find that everyone I interviewed would be completely open to reading them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read any graphic novels, and I would really like to start. This looks like a great introduction! You had me at: legends in exile! I'm a sucker for anything about fairy tales with a modern twist. Great Annotation!

    ReplyDelete